Marketing is probably the most diverse career path anyone can pursue. Regardless of your background, strengths, and skills, the high […]Read More »
If you are looking for cost saving methods to control your food costs, you have come to the right place.
Below are 101 tips and strategies to help you save on food costs. use these ideas to get you thinking and brainstorm with your team.
1. Purchase in bulk: Buying larger quantities of food items at a lower cost per unit can help reduce costs.
2. Track food usage: Monitor the amount of food being used in order to estimate the amount of food needed in future orders.
3. Negotiate prices with suppliers: Negotiating with suppliers can help lower the cost of food items.
4. Monitor food temperatures: Ensure that food is being stored at the correct temperature to ensure quality and limit waste.
5. Minimize portion sizes: Reducing portion sizes can help stretch food further and reduce costs.
6. Utilize leftovers: Utilizing leftovers can help reduce waste and save money.
7. Compare prices from different suppliers: Compare prices from different suppliers to find the best deal.
8. Monitor inventory: Track inventory levels to reduce over-ordering and identify slow-selling items.
9. Control portion sizes: Monitor portion sizes to reduce waste and lower cost.
10. Eliminate waste: Train staff to reduce waste and keep costs down.
11. Review menu prices: Ensure that menu prices are set at the right level to maximize profits.
12. Use seasonal ingredients: Take advantage of seasonal ingredients that are available at a lower cost.
13. Shop around for the best deals: Research the market to find the best deals on food items.
14. Make use of coupons and discounts: Take advantage of coupons and discounts to get discounts on food items.
15. Don’t over-order: Only order what is needed to reduce waste and lower costs.
16. Use local suppliers: Use local suppliers to reduce transportation costs.
17. Buy generic brands: Buying generic brands can help reduce costs.
18. Plan menus in advance: Planning menus in advance can help create more efficient orders.
19. Use smaller dishes: Using smaller plates can help reduce the amount of food used and help save money.
20. Substitute cheaper ingredients: Substituting cheaper ingredients for more expensive items can reduce costs.
21. Take advantage of early-bird specials: Take advantage of early-bird specials to get food items at a discounted rate.
22. Use whole ingredients: Use whole ingredients rather than pre-prepared items to reduce costs.
23. Take advantage of food specials: Look out for food specials that offer discounts on certain items.
24. Invest in high-quality kitchen equipment: Investing in high-quality kitchen equipment can help reduce waste and save money.
25. Use efficient methods of cooking: Use efficient methods of cooking such as steaming or stir-frying to reduce cooking times and save money.
26. Train staff on food safety and food handling: Train staff on food safety and food handling to reduce the risk of food waste and contamination.
27. Review menus regularly: Review menus regularly to identify slow-selling items and optimize pricing.
28. Calculate the cost of each dish: Calculate the cost of each dish to identify which dishes are the most profitable.
29. Monitor food wastage: Monitor food wastage to identify which areas of the business are causing the most waste.
30. Use up-to-date recipes: Use up-to-date recipes to ensure that dishes are prepared in the most efficient way.
31. Use cheaper cuts of meat: Use cheaper cuts of meat to reduce costs without compromising on taste.
32. Use frozen or canned fruits and vegetables: Use frozen or canned fruits and vegetables where appropriate to reduce costs.
33. Monitor portion control: Train staff to ensure that portion sizes are consistent and monitored.
34. Use multi-functional ingredients: Use ingredients that are versatile and can be used in multiple dishes.
35. Choose food items with longer shelf life: Choose food items that have a longer shelf life to avoid wastage.
36. Reuse cooking oil: Reuse cooking oil to reduce costs.
37. Use dry ingredients: Use dry ingredients such as flour and sugar to reduce costs.
38. Utilize wet and dry storage: Utilize both wet and dry storage to make the most of available space.
39. Choose food items with multiple uses: Choose food items that can be used in multiple dishes in order to reduce costs.
40. Monitor stock rotation: Ensure that stock is rotated and used in date order to reduce wastage.
41. Use smaller containers: Use smaller containers to reduce the amount of food needed.
42. Track food prices: Monitor the prices of food items to ensure that the best deals are being made.
43. Use spices and herbs to add flavor: Spices and herbs can be used to add flavor without adding cost.
44. Use vegetables and fruits in season: Use vegetables and fruits in season as they tend to be cheaper.
45. Purchase frozen and canned goods: Purchase frozen and canned goods as they tend to be cheaper and last for longer.
46. Minimize wastage: Train staff to minimize wastage in order to reduce costs.
47. Use portion-controlled packaging: Use portion-controlled packaging to reduce wastage.
48. Monitor food cost percentage: Monitor the food cost percentage to ensure it is within the desired range.
49. Utilize efficient cooking techniques: Utilize efficient cooking techniques such as batch cooking to reduce costs.
50. Use herbs and spices to replace salt: Use herbs and spices to replace salt to reduce costs.
51. Utilize local farmers markets: Utilize local farmers markets to reduce transportation costs.
52. Make use of discounts: Take advantage of discounts that are available on food items.
53. Make use of food delivery services: Make use of food delivery services to reduce transport costs.
54. Monitor the cost of food items: Monitor the cost of food items to ensure the best deals are being made.
55. Monitor food trends: Monitor food trends to identify popular menu items and reduce costs.
56. Utilize recipes that are cost-effective: Utilize recipes that are cost-effective to reduce costs.
57. Buy in bulk from wholesalers: Buy in bulk from wholesalers to reduce costs.
58. Utilize food cost-saving programs: Utilize food cost-saving programs to reduce costs.
59. Utilize technology to reduce costs: Utilize technology such as computerized ordering systems to reduce costs.
60. Utilize online ordering: Utilize online ordering to reduce ordering costs and time.
61. Leverage suppliers: Negotiate with suppliers to get the best deals and discounts.
62. Utilize food-cost analysis: Utilize food-cost analysis to identify areas where costs can be reduced.
63. Utilize portion-controlled servings: Utilize portion-controlled servings to reduce waste.
64. Utilize portion-controlled packaging: Utilize portion-controlled packaging to reduce waste and save costs.
65. Utilize discounts: Utilize discounts to reduce costs.
66. Utilize ingredient-cost analysis: Utilize ingredient-cost analysis to identify opportunities to reduce costs.
67. Utilize recipes for high-margin items: Utilize recipes for high-margin items to maximize profits.
68. Utilize discounts from vendors: Utilize discounts from vendors to reduce costs.
69. Utilize freeze-drying: Utilize freeze-drying to reduce spoilage and extend shelf life.
70. Utilize pre-prepared items: Utilize pre-prepared items to reduce preparation time and costs.
71. Utilize portion-controlled recipes: Utilize portion-controlled recipes to reduce waste.
72. Utilize pre-portioned packaging: Utilize pre-portioned packaging to reduce costs.
73. Utilize food cost tracking software: Utilize food cost tracking software to track food costs and identify areas of savings.
74. Utilize technology to reduce labour costs: Utilize technology such as automated ordering systems to reduce labour costs.
75. Utilize food cost forecasting: Utilize food cost forecasting to predict food costs and adjust menu prices accordingly.
76. Utilize menu engineering: Utilize menu engineering to identify profitable menu items and reduce costs.
77. Utilize supplier relationships: Utilize relationships with suppliers to get the best deals and discounts.
78. Utilize portion-controlled drinks: Utilize portion-controlled drinks to reduce waste and save costs.
79. Utilize food cost budgeting: Utilize food cost budgeting to ensure that food costs are managed within the desired range.
80. Utilize food cost ratio analysis: Utilize food cost ratio analysis to identify areas of improvement.
81. Utilize cost-efficient menu items: Utilize cost-efficient menu items to maximize profits.
82. Utilize food cost variance analysis: Utilize food cost variance analysis to identify areas of cost savings.
83. Utilize product-specific food cost tracking: Utilize product-specific food cost tracking to identify areas of savings.
84. Utilize cost-saving recipes: Utilize cost-saving recipes to reduce costs.
85. Utilize food cost margin analysis: Utilize food cost margin analysis to identify areas of potential savings.
86. Utilize cost-saving strategies: Utilize cost-saving strategies such as portion control and menu engineering.
87. Utilize yield analysis: Utilize yield analysis to identify opportunities to increase profits.
88. Utilize pricing strategies: Utilize pricing strategies that are based on food costs and customer demand.
89. Utilize cost-saving equipment: Utilize cost-saving equipment such as energy-efficient ovens and dishwashers.
90. Utilize portion-controlled recipes: Utilize portion-controlled recipes to reduce costs.
91. Utilize cost-saving preparation methods: Utilize cost-saving preparation methods such as steaming and stir-frying.
92. Utilize cost-saving cooking techniques: Utilize cost-saving cooking techniques such as slow-cooking.
93. Utilize portion-controlled servings: Utilize portion-controlled servings to reduce waste and save costs.
94. Utilize cost-saving menu items: Utilize cost-saving menu items such as sandwiches and salads.
95. Utilize cost-saving ingredients: Utilize cost-saving ingredients such as grains and legumes.
96. Utilize cost-saving garnishes: Utilize cost-saving garnishes such as herbs and spices.
97. Utilize cost-saving cooking methods: Utilize cost-saving cooking methods such as grilling and baking.
98. Utilize cost-saving packaging: Utilize cost-saving packaging such as compostable packaging.
99. Utilize cost-saving marketing strategies: Utilize cost-saving marketing strategies such as online marketing.
100. Utilize cost-saving delivery services: Utilize cost-saving delivery services such as bicycle delivery.
101. Utilize cost-saving payment methods: Utilize cost-saving payment methods such as cashless payments.
For more tools and articles to help you build a better food business, go here: